Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Long long time ago.... In a place far far away

This was my first major (non-bashing) modification project started when I was in Boston during my master program. The choice of using a HGUC gundam kit as the base for this conversion shows the sign of the time. This conversion is much easier now base on the new GM-Quel kit.

Photobucket

The most challenging part of the project is the modification of the chest block. The stock kit was way to animeish. I saw off the top front of the chest and replace it with plastic card. Then the top of the shoulder are puttied and the vent are sculpted using hobby knife. Then a second surgery is made to remove the original cockpit.

Photobucket


Cockpit is a scratchbuild using plastic card. I used 0.75mm card and someone commented the card is too thick. Having made one using thinner (0.40mm) cards in the GM sniper project, I have to agree. I added a mechanical arm behind the cockpit. This was done to increase the mobility of the waist. Although a fully opend cockpit post is possible as shown in the picture, the ball joint the the waist makes building internal cockpit impossible. All these work are now unnecessary using the Quel kit.

No comments: